Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Smoulder

Smoulder. Definition? Slow Burn. With those eyes and pursed lips, arched brow... this girl's on FIRE!
Usually, when I draw and paint faces, I'm very very tight and controlled - a perfectionist. This time, I wanted to be a little loosey-goosey. I drew and painted with fluid motions. I let go of the need to control every detail.
And, I usually paint pretty pictures. This one is perhaps a little deeper.
I painted her face in shades of blue - and then - geez! had to match the odd shades going through a gigantic box of blue paper, junk mail, advertising, cards, etc. Look closely, you'll see icebergs and Hanukah candles and clouds.
I painted her lips red. They just popped. But the hair...hmmm. what to do. I stood back, asked my husband - he said RED! Once the paint hit the canvas, I knew he was right. Look closely to see perfume bottles, Macy's ads, catalog covers and more in the hair.
The original is available from the artist for $4150.00 no prints, no cards, no reproductions. One of a kind! Contact artist@schimmelart.com

No comments: