Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What's with the Green Fine Art?

A lot of people ask me why I am a green fine artist.
There are actually many reasons
  1. I've been an artist since I was a little kid. Art classes, art major, artist as a profession. You're always around toxic stuff - paints, fumes, dyes, etc. I'd wake up at night wheezing after exposure to these chemicals. I know how dangerous many of them are. I made a promise to myself a few years ago to stop using toxic materials. 
  2. Artists have a tendency to hoard. Okay, I'm not on the scale of those who end up on reality shows, but I do have a room where I store all my paper [junk, mail, postcards, calendars, etc.], paints, crayons, pencils, Styrofoam balls, moss, needlepoint canvas, beads, yarn, tile, glass, mats, stickers, frames, ink, magazines, colored sand, buttons, toys, broken stuff... a whole lotta potentially useful "art supplies" that I always intended to use for something.
  3. I am a recycle/upcycle individual by nature. I can't help it. I have 10 times more trash for the recycle bin than the trash bin... and if I hadn't found a giant RAT in my composter, a couple of months ago, I'd be doing that too. I buy art at yard sales, and re-use the canvas, the frames... why not. I ride a bike. I buy local. I use green products.
  4. I think of myself as an artist first. I happen to be a green person. My work happens to be made from non-toxic stuff. You could eat it [you can't digest it].
So, it's somewhat from self-preservation, a life-style, a habit, and kismet. I created a technique that is unique to me... and happens to help the environment. It's all good.  I hope you like it, too.

Hope you can attend the opening at Translations Galley in Denver next month!

No comments: